Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Family Day at the Field

Joe sure can rock a heli!

Helping Daddy put the wings on the Cub.

Magnus loves anything that flies!

My first day flying solo!


Monday was a day of perfect weather, so we hurried through our mowing chores and got to the R/C flying field around 5pm. We stayed until 9pm, that point where darkness and mosquitoes usually gang up to pounce on us like a woman attacks a clearance rack. We had a super-fun day, and Joe told me it was time to leave the buddy-box behind and take the "real" radio for myself! (The buddy-box is a controller that's got a cord plugged into the "master" radio that Joe uses. If I get disoriented, Joe flips a switch and instantly takes control using his radio.) That black speck in front of me was the little helicopter (T-rex 450) that I was flying. I went through about 10 batteries and DIDN'T EVEN CRASH!! (I'll pause here for your claps, cheers and bravos.........) Of course, though I can fly one around, you really haven't lived until you've watched Joe fly a helicopter (or airplane, for that matter). He always amazes me, and is our hometown R/C hero - the envy of the local flying fields, for sure! His dedicated practice on the simulator really shows. Magnus likes to watch Joe fly too, and even claps for him when he lands safely on the ground. We are his biggest fans!