Sunday, May 4, 2008

King of the Wild Frontier

Magnus proudly wears his coon-skin hat all around the house. Perhaps he inherited some of his mother's WV roots? Although, I must insert that my mom is from KS and my dad is from OH, so I'm not exactly what you would consider blue-blooded. Yet, I am from the mountain state, but you may save your hillbilly jokes for someone else because I have heard (and told) them all. And for all you poor, deprived folks out there that have never visited "Wild, Wonderful WV", there is more truth to those jokes than you may realize! But it is a very lovely state, and there's even just a certain bit of story-book charm about old snaggle-toothed women greeting you at the door with a wary eye and a shotgun... lol! (You'll have to ask Uncle John and Poppie about that story though.) It wasn't even terribly unusual for us to go to the mall and see an old man dressed in cowboy wear (the jingle-bob spurs WERE a bit much, though) and wearing revolvers on his belt! (Yes, we're talking real live bam-bams.) I can still hear his spurs going, "ching, ching, ching..." through the mall. I wonder what he possibly could've been shopping for? A new pair of Oakley's? At any rate, we always got a kick out of him. Although, I think I'd be a little more than nervous if I went to our Richmond mall here and saw firearms hanging off people's belts. Belts around here hang a bit low, if you know what I mean, so most the barrels of their pistols would be nearly scraping the ground... I can't imagine that being very good for your gun. Maybe that's why they don't wear them here.