Monday, January 21, 2008

My first painting



For Christmas, Joe surprised me and bought me a bunch of art supplies so I could learn to paint! I had told him a little while back that I'd always wanted to be an artist (ever since I was like 3... or as far back as I can remember!), and I guess he wanted to help me fulfill that lifelong dream. As a child, I used to picture myself in a little beret, sitting at my easel holding a pallet full of paints... and wearing a white smock. I thought every painter probably wore a white smock and a little black beret. I haven't taken any art lessons yet (or bought any "proper" artist clothing - don't you have to go to Paris for those?), but I want to maybe get some DVD's to give me some instruction so I can at least LOOK like I know what I'm doing. =) I just couldn't wait to get started though, so I copied a picture of my horse Jake and used acrylics to make my first little 5x7 painting. It's certainly not perfect, but I was actually very relieved to find that I could at least tell that it was Jake! I have always loved drawing animals, but never had any interest in people-subjects. If you're curious to see which photograph I copied, check out my August post entitled "Meet Jake...".