Monday, January 21, 2008

A happy new home

Our beloved dog has a new home and a new name! Gunther (now Henry) was a wonderful dog that we had 5 fun-filled years with, but he wasn't the kind of dog that we could trust around Magnus - especially now that Magnus is nearly walking. God answered our prayers and found the perfect family for him. Henry has been with them for over a week now and is settling in nicely. Philip & Katharine (pictured) don't have any children, so Henry & Winston (their other dog) are their "kids". The dogs sleep beside their bed and live with them in their home like doggy kings. We miss our Gunny terribly, but it's the perfect happy ending for everybody and we are so thankful that God sent them to us and to "Henry". His new family already loves him dearly, so that makes me feel better when I get to missing him a lot. We got Gunther in Cincinnati as a puppy and he rode all the way home in my lap (we were in the Miata!). He bonded very strongly to me, and was literally like my shadow. He'd be in a dead sleep (I thought!) until I'd leave the room and he'd jump up and run after me, just to flop down at my feet again. He was my constant companion, and even when he was outside he would always check in the window to see where I was at. When I worked full time, he knew exactly when I should be arriving home and would wait in the yard watching for my return, and then he and Jack would do the happy Mastiff dance. He was our farm comedian and would "wave" at you when you walked up. It was so sad to see him go, but we couldn't be happier when we think of how much he is loved and spoiled, and his new family sends us lots of updates and pictures. And you can see how happy he looks already!