Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer foods are just more fun.

This bear thinks they're berry good.


Blackberry Dumplings (I think the bear got too full - just like I did!)


I never before have "appreciated" all the thorns that are growing across our property here in Virginia. I thought all that junk (including the endless poison ivy) growing was just useless waste leftover from the once-timbered land... until I noticed the Blackberries! So, we set out to get a few for some yummy desserts, and were surprised at how many we found. We just picked along the edge of the woods, but there were many, many more that nobody volunteered to dive in after. It was painful enough to get the ones that we could reach - but it was worth it! We got about 2 quarts and used half of it to try a new recipe of Blackberry Dumplings, and I plan to make a cobbler with the other half. This is what "living off the land" is all about!