Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Deer Hunters

Joe shot this 6 point on our property yesterday. (Good job, honey!) He debated on whether or not to shoot it (he had to leave early this morning on a 2 day trip) but, as he pondered, the deer was getting farther and farther away, so he went ahead and dropped him at about 60 yards. Magnus helped congratulate Daddy, while Mommy worked on de-boning the meat and frying some of it up for supper with some biscuits and gravy. I've been cutting up deer meat ever since I could be trusted with a sharp knife! (Note to women: Never tell your husband - or prospective husband - you know how to process any sort of wild game meat! Unless, of course, you REALLY enjoy the endless slicing, dicing, and packaging.) It's kind of ironic how I can handle the mess of deer meat just fine, but boy I hate dealing with chicken! Yes, I'm talking about those ordinary little packets of chicken from the grocery store. All I can think of is, "Ack! Salmonella!!!" Or, "Oh boy, this is going to make the trash can odorous beyond repair..." Anyway, better get to cutting up the rest of that venison... Where is everybody when you need some company??? I sure don't see any girlfriends flocking to my rescue! And this is probably one time that Joe is glad to be gone overnight! (Come on, sweetheart... admit it!! You jumped out of bed to go to work a little bit quicker than usual!) ;-) Naw... actually, all joking aside, I'm really thankful for the meat, and feel blessed to eat such healthy, organic "does a body good" food. And it's tasty, too!