Monday, October 15, 2007

My dog-for-a-day

This is Jack. No, not "my" Jack. (I can already see the look of confusion on your face.) A new Jack. An adorable, brindle, 2 year old Jack. The picture doesn't do him justice as he just looks like a dark, masked figure trying to blend with the shadows, but he has beautiful markings and a sweet, blocky face. I happily took him in & claimed him as my own over the weekend only to find that when it comes to male Mastiffs, 2 is company but 3 is a crowd! I really loved this dog though - he is a smaller, athletic type Mastiff that was such a love with the typical, clingy Mastiff personality - but the dog fights (no, nobody got hurt, thankfully!) weren't getting any better after a whole weekend so we called Jack's daddy and he gladly accepted him back. (Whew!) I think he's actually going to try to keep him now, so hopefully it's a happy ending for everyone & I learned a little lesson on being content with what I have and about the ways of alpha male dogs... what's that dumb little saying? Boys will be boys? Yeah, well, this time they certainly were! I couldn't even go into the yard without the jealousy and hackles rising to amazing levels! Rows of gleaming white teeth would make their appearance every time the "other" dog tried to approach me. Not pretty. I thought this picture was cute because Jack was lying in the spot where "his" vehicle parked before leaving on Saturday and he would lay there sometimes and howl for his owner. How can something so sad be so adorable? And when will I learn how to not get myself into these fixes??